How to Upgrade Storage Capacity on a Comcast DVR
- Increase your Comcast DVR's data space.
- Be near your DVR.
- Your DVR must have an eSATA port on the back.
- Your external hard drive must be eSATA compatible.
1 Expand Your Capacity
If you've run out of space to record your favorite shows on your DVR, you may be able to add an external hard drive to expand its storage capacity.
Can I Expand My Capacity?
The following models of Comcast DVR boxes support external hard drives:
- Motorola: DCH3416, DCH6416, DCT3412, DCT3416, DCT6412, DCT6416, DCX3501, RNG200N
If your Motorola DVR has an eSATA port on the back, it should support external hard drives with up to two terabytes of storage capacity.
- Cisco/Scientific Atlantic (SA): Cisco RNG200, Cisco RNG200N, SA 8000, SA 8000HD, SA 8010, SA 8010HD, SA 8300, SA 8300HD/HDC
If your Cisco or Scientific Atlanta DVR has an eSATA port on the back, it should support external hard drives with up to one terabyte of storage capacity.
What Kind of Hard Drive Do I Need?
In order for an external hard drive to function with your DVR, it must have an eSATA connection. The external hard drive must be connected to your DVR's eSATA port.
The majority of external drives on the market currently come equipped with USB 3.0 connections.
It may be possible to use your USB external hard drive anyway if an eSATA adapter is used. This must be purchased separately and may not be compatible with all drives.
External drives come in two form factors:
Comcast DVR equipment only supports eSATA external hard drives with maximum capacities of 1TB or 2TB depending on the model. If anything larger is connected, you will encounter an error.
Connecting Your Drive to Your DVR
- Turn on your TV and your DVR box.
- If your external drive requires it, connect the power source at this time. A power cable should have been supplied with your external drive. Plug one end of the power cord into the external hard drive, then plug the other end into an available electrical outlet.
- Connect one end of the eSATA cable to the DVR's eSATA port.
- Connect the other end of the eSATA cable to the external drive.
- Your television will display a message asking if you would like to format the external drive. All content on the external drive will be erased if you format. Select YES to begin the formatting process or select NO to dismiss the message without formatting the drive.
- If YES is selected, the DVR will begin formatting your drive.
- Once the system has completed the formatting process and the external drive is ready for use, a confirmation message will appear. Select OK to dismiss the message.
Was this content helpful?YesNo