How to Set Up a Microsoft Surface Pro Tablet
Congratulations on purchasing your Surface Pro! This guide will walk you through setting up your new tablet.
If you purchased a Surface Book go ahead and connect the Clipboard.
If you purchased the Typing Cover go ahead and connect it.
- Plug in the power cord to the electrical outlet.
- Connect the power connector to the charging port. The charging port is often on the side of the Surface.
- Press and release the power button on your Surface.
- The Surface will power on and Windows will start.
- When your Surface Pro boots for the first time you will see this screen:
- On this screen you will need to choose:
- Your home country.
- Your language.
- Your keyboard layout.
- Your time zone.
- The next screen will ask you to Accept the EULA. This is not optional. You will have to Accept to continue.
- You'll then be able to choose your Surface name and Start Menu color.
Windows will prompt you to pair your pen during your Surface setup.
- Press and hold the top (eraser) button for 5 seconds to enter pairing mode.
- When connected you will see Pairing was successfulon the screen, as well as some tips on how to use your pen.
- The first time you turn on your Surface Pro it will ask you to set up Wi-Fi.
- A list of Networks will be shown.
- If your network is unlisted, you can type in your Network Name (SSID).
- You will be asked for your password.
- You should be connected at this point. If you are having issues, you can click Skip this step and we'll revisit this later.
Get Going Fast!
You can either choose to use the express settings or customize the settings yourself.
If you choose to customize the settings yourself you will be brought to this screen to select your various settings.
If you already have a Microsoft Account, you'll enter your credentials here.
If you do not have a Microsoft Account you can make one!
You'll use this account to log into your Surface Pro unless you choose to use a PIN.
The next screen will ask you if you wish to use a PIN.
Once you're signed into your Microsoft Account, the Surface Pro will ask you if you want to setup a OneDrive account.
If you already have a OneDrive account the above screen will be shown. Tap Yes or No.
If you do not have a OneDrive account, you can easily create one.
Cortana is Microsoft's Intelligent Personal Assistant. It can be used to search, open apps, and personalize your experience with your Surface Pro.
To enable Cortana, simply tap Yes.
Welcome to your Surface Pro Windows 10 Desktop!
Your Surface probably started in Tablet Mode.
- To change this, tap the Notifications icon in the bottom right.
- Tap the Tablet Mode icon to disable Tablet Mode.
Next, we'll want to double check your network.
- Tap or click the Wi-Fi icon on the bottom right.
- A list of networks will appear.
- If you are connected to a Wi-Fi network, it will say Connected beneath the network.
- If not, it will ask you to connect. Tap Connect to input your password and connect to the network.
Clicking this button will open a new guide that will provide you with steps to resolve your issue.