How to Use the Remote Control for a Roku Ultra
Roku Ultra comes with the Roku Enhanced Voice Remote which is fully-loaded for maximum entertainment. Compared to the standard remote it includes these extra features:
- Power up and volume change compatible with most TVs
- Headphone jack for private listening
- Night listening mode
- Lost remote finder
- Gaming buttons
- Voice search
1 TV Controls
If you've set up the Roku Enhanced Remote to control your TV, you can:
- Turn the TV on and off using the power button.
- Turn the TVs audio volume up and down using the side buttons.
2 Menu Navigation
To navigate the Roku interface you will need to:
- Use the Directional buttons to navigate and highlight items.
- Press the OK button to select the highlighted item.
- Press the Back button to return to the previous screen.
- Press the House button to return to the main screen.
- Press the Options button to see additional options.
- Use the Channel Shortcut buttons to instantly access favorite channels.
3 Playback Controls
While streaming video or audio you can:
- Play / Pause the stream.
- Rewind / Fast Forward the stream. If you press the button multiple times you will see an X multiplier to speed up seeking.
- Replay the last few seconds.
- Access additional options with the Options button.
4 Gaming Controls
To play video games on Roku:
- Rotate the remote horizontally.
- Use the Directional buttons to go up, down, left and right.
- Use the game dedicated A and B buttons to perform specific actions. These actions vary by game.
5 Voice Search
Here's how to use voice search with the Roku Enhanced Remote:
- Hold your remote face up in the palm of your hand.
- Point your remote upwards and position it about six inches from your mouth.
- Press and hold the Microphone button.
- With the button still pressed, clearly speak into the remote's microphone at a normal volume and release the button when finished.
- After you release the button, your Roku device will carry out your request.
Below is a list of the voice search commands you can use, along with some examples:
- Find a specific title
“find Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire”
“show me episodes of Silicon Valley”
- Find content for an actor or director
“search for comedy movies with Will Ferrell”
“find all Martin Scorsese films”
- Find content in a genre
“show me comedies”
“find thriller movies”
- Find content in a genre on a channel
“show documentary films on Hulu”
- Launch a streaming channel
“go to Amazon”
“launch HBO Now”
6 Private Listening
When the environment is noisy or those nearby do not want to be disturbed, the audio from your Roku streaming device can be output to your headphones using private listening through your Roku remote.
Here's how to activate private listening:
Only put your headphones on when the volume is at a safe level.
- Find the built-in headphone jack on the side of your Roku remote and plug-in your headphones firmly.
- A headphone icon will appear on your television screen to indicate private listening is active.
- Begin streaming a movie or TV show.
- Hold your headphones near your ears, but do not put them on yet.
- Adjust the volume using the volume up and down buttons on your remote.
- When the volume is at a safe level, put your headphones on and further adjust the volume if necessary.
- When you want to disable private listening, unplug your headphones completely.
- Audio will automatically return to your TV speakers at the previous volume.
7 Remote Finder
Remote finder is a feature that can help you locate your Roku remote when it is lost or misplaced.
Here's how to use the remote finder:
- Press the locator button on your Roku Ultra to send a signal to the Roku remote.
- Your Roku remote will emit the remote finder sound.
- When you find your remote, press any button to stop the sound.
The remote will not emit the remote finder sound if the batteries are dead, or if the remote is out-of-range of your wireless network.
8 Control With Mobile App
Here's how to use your mobile device to control a Roku device:
- Launch the Roku App on your mobile device.
- Tap on the Remote icon.
- You can choose between two ways of using the in-app remote by tapping on the Controls icon at the top of the screen.
The two ways of using the in-app remote are Traditional or Swipe.
- The Traditional remote provides you with directional buttons that behave like the buttons on the remote that came with your Roku device. Tapping a button on the mobile app will cause the same response that you would expect if you pressed the corresponding button on your Roku remote.
- The Swipe remote provides you with a combination of buttons to tap and an area to capture your finger gestures. The direction of your swipes in this area will correspond to the equivalent directional button presses on your remote. Tapping anywhere in the gesture area will select the item that is highlighted on your TV display, the same as pressing the OK button on the your remote.
Was this content helpful?YesNo