How to Set Up Parental Controls on a PlayStation 4
- Understand what Parental Controls are.
- Change what kind of content a restricted PlayStation 4 can access.
- Understand the ESRB rating system.
- Create a family account.
- Have access to your PlayStation 4.
1 ESRB Ratings
The Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) ratings provide guidance about video games and apps so that you can make informed choices about the ones you deem suitable for your family.
Parts of ESRB Ratings
- Rating Categories suggest age appropriateness.
- Content Descriptors indicate content that may have triggered a particular rating and/or may be of interest or concern.
- Interactive Elements highlight interactive or online features of a product, including users' ability to interact with each other, the sharing of users' location with other users, if purchases of digital goods or services are offered, and/or if unrestricted internet access is provided.
You can find the ESRB ratings on the front of physical games, with the content descriptor on the back.
A small logo will be printed on the front of the game box, or prominently in the online store for the game.
On the back of the box, a more expanded list of information about the rating, and a small list of why the rating was given is shown.
The primary information is repeated, here, just like the logo on the front. To the right, further information detailing what, exactly, gave it that rating. This is so you can make a more informed decision for your child.
2 Parental Controls Overview
As a parent or guardian, you can use parental controls to restrict access to certain content or features for children using your PS4 system. To set parental controls, you'll need an adult account and to set up a family.
Parental Controls on the PlayStation 4 can:
- Set monthly spending allowances
- Restrict contacting other PSN users
- Restrict viewing and sharing user-generated content
- Restrict games, Blu-Rays, and DVD discs based on age ratings
- Restrict use of the PlayStation VR headset
- Restrict access to the internet browser
- Block new user creation and guest login.
- Change security passcodes.
- Set default Parental Controls which will apply to new users and guests