How to Set Up a Sonos PLAY:3 Speaker
Sonos is a home sound system of Wi-Fi connected speakers, that lets you listen to anything you want, wherever you want.
PLAY:3 is the mid-size speaker with stereo sound from Sonos, and their most versatile player.
1 Speaker Setup
- Place the speaker within a good range of the Wi-Fi router. You can check the Wi-Fi signal strength on other Wi-Fi connected devices that have a display by bringing them temporarily next to the Sonos speaker.
- The speaker can be oriented either horizontally or vertically to allow flexibility with the placement:
- horizontal orientation is recommended for a single speaker to provide the best audio quality and enable stereo sound
- vertical orientation may be necessary for certain spaces; stereo playback is disabled in this orientation, however two speakers of the same type can be paired to create a stereo pair.
- Plug one end of the provided power cable into the speaker. Only plug the other end into a power outlet when instructed by the Sonos Controller app during the setup process.
2 Install Controller App
The setup process is similar for all Sonos speakers on any device that you install the Sonos Controller on. It can be installed on Android/iOS smartphones or tablets, or on Windows/Mac computers.
- On your mobile device or computer, open your browser and navigate to support.sonos.com then scroll down until you see the Download the Controller button.
- The website will detect what type of device you are using and will offer for download the compatible file.
- Tap or click on the Download button. If the download doesn't start, check below the button to see if you have additional download options or instructions and continue with them.
- Open the downloaded file and follow the instructions to Install it on the computer.
- Alternately, on mobile devices, you can search for the Sonos Controller app in the appropriate app store or marketplace and install it from there.