How to Set Up a Nest Smart Thermostat
? Before we get started we need to know if you have already installed your thermostat.
We're here to help!Connect to a Tech Pro
Call or chat with a Tech Pro 24/7.
- Wireless Network Name (SSID)
- Wireless Network Key (Password)
Finding Network Credentials
Most wireless routers or gateways have a label with the default credentials. If the credentials aren't there, check the documentation that came with your device.
If your Internet Service Provider (ISP) installed the wireless router or gateway, they might have left you a setup sheet which may have the credentials.
Before we begin, let's take a moment to understand how to interact with the user interface of a Nest thermostat.
- Display: The thermostat is circular with a glass face. The face is the display.
- Navigation: The outside of the thermostat is a ring that rotates. (Think combination lock)
- Selecting: To select something, press down on the same ring that you used to navigate.
The thermostat gets its power from the wiring in the wall that connects it to the home's heating and cooling system. If it is wired correctly and the circuit it is connected to is live, the device should be powered up and waiting on the initial setup.
The default language should be set to English but the first step will be to select a language.
Press on language, turn the ring to the desired language and then press on the desired language to select.
- Select Internet Connection and press on Internet Connection.
- Press on Connect
- Select your network and Press.
- You will then be prompted for your wireless password. You will need to use the ring to select and press on all the characters for your password.
Options in the ring include:
- Letters (Caps & Lower)
- Submit / Enter
- Once you have entered your password, you will need to select the check mark and press it to continue.
Next you will need to specify a location. Press Continue.
- First it will verify the zip code. If the zip code is not correct, you can manually change it using the same rotate and press method you used to enter your password.
- Next it will ask you about the type of location, e.g. Single Family, Multi-Family, Apartment / Condo, or Business.
- Then it will ask where it is installed in the home, E.g. Bedroom, Living Room, Basement, etc.
We recommend you have this system installed professionally, so many of these questions will be answered by the installer. If questions have not been answered or you installed the Nest Smart Thermostat yourself please follow the on screen instructions and fill out the information as accurately as possible.
Next the thermostat will run a quick test to ensure the system is working correctly.
You will be prompted with a screen that gives you some systems to test, such as: heating, cooling, fan. The options will vary depending on your heating and cooling system.
Now that the thermostat is configured we need to add it to your account using the Nest app.
- If you don't already have it installed, install the Nest app from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
- Launch the app and create an account. If you already have an account, sign into it.
- Once you're signed in, tap Add.
- Then choose Nest Thermostat.
- Enter the Key Code. To get the Key Code go to your thermostat and:
- Press the ring to get to the menu.
- Select Settings and press.
- Select Nest Account and press.
- Then press Get Entry Key.
- It will then display the key you will need to enter into the app.
Please feel free to return to this guide for the "soft setup" once the thermostat has been physically installed and wired.