How to Remove Unchecked Startup Items from MSConfig
One of the best ways to speed-up your slow-booting PC is to remove the unnecessary startup programs from MSConfig. Overtime, as you install new programs on your machine, the list of startup items also grows. Even though you uncheck them from MSConfig, they still remain in the list and make the list look cluttered. In this blog post we will address how to remove a program from the startup list.
Note:The process of removing items from the startup list requires editing Windows® registry values. Therefore, we recommend that you backup the current state of your registry and create a system restore point before you begin.
Warning: You must exercise caution when using the Registry Editor. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly!
Identifying Items That Need To Be Removed
- Click Start > Run (Alternatively, press the Windows key + R to launch the Run window).
- Type ‘msconfig’ and click the OK button.
- Switch to the Startup tab, and note the program name that you want to remove.
Editing the Windows Registry
- Click Start > Run (Alternatively, press Windows key + R to launch the Run window).
- Type ‘regedit’ and click the OK button.
- From the left pane, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig.
- Expand the startupreg key, right click on the program name that you want to remove and select Delete.
- Click the Yes button to confirm.
- You are done!
If you need help or have questions completing the above steps, feel free to leave a comment here, or on our Facebook® Page and we will be more than happy to assist you!